Accounting qualifications are recognised throughout New Zealand and overseas. These qualifications are a passport to employment anywhere.
Accounting qualifications can lead to opportunities to specialise in taxation, business services (income tax, GST etc), audit, management accounting, receivership/insolvency, forensic, consultancy/investigation and company directorships.
Every business needs an accountant so there are opportunities in every industry worldwide! You can work in public practice, public relations, entertainment, sport, leisure, tourism, the public sector, and anywhere else you can think of!
There are several ways you can gain accountancy qualifications.
- attend university and obtain a degree in business or commerce
- employment for 3 years prescribed practical experience
- additional professional exams
- obtain a diploma in business from a polytechnic
- employment for 2 years prescribed practical experience
- one additional professional exam
Earn While You Learn
- employment in an accountancy firm and gain practical experience as you study
- study by correspondence through Massey University or the Open Polytechnic of NZ
- Shand Thomson meets all course fees and provides paid exam leave
|An accounting career offers many opportunities to those wishing to follow the various paths towards qualifications. Natalie Taylor discussed career options with South Otago students at a careers expo in Balclutha in May 2011.